Friday, May 9, 2008

Proverbs

I love Proverbs. Most are thought to be written by the wise King Solomon (son of David). The Lord appeared to Solomon and told him that he could ask for anything that he wanted. Solomon asked for wisdom. According to the Bible the Lord made him more wise than any man. Here are a few Proverbs that stood out to me while I was doing my reading this morning.

17:12 Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool in his folly.

17:15 Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent - the Lord detests them both.

17:28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

18:9 One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.

18:13 He who answers before listening - that is his folly and his shame

18: 22 He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.

2 comments:

Grace said...

I have always loved 17:28. How often I've seen that with myself and others. Someone can seem so interesting & intellegent and then after a few conversations you realize you would have a higher opinion of them if they hadn't spoken at all.
My father always used to fuss at me for speaking without thinking. Although I've tried and I'm better then I was then, it's still a problem. I'm sure that doesn't improve anyone's opinion of my intellegence. I do much better when I think a bit on what I want to say. I'm not a fool, but I've certainly been guilty of sounding like one when I forget to stop and think. Thanks for reminding me of some of those. LY Mo

Grace said...

PS-Maybe that's why I prefer email to phones! We can hit "Undo".